Tuesday 11 March 2014

New adventures and new discoveries


Earlswood Lakes

Little did I know that I was in for a treat when I visited Earlswood Lakes on Sunday. To set the scene, the sun was out, it was warm and I was ready to go and see what this place had to offer. I was not disappointed.

 There were some lovely Cormorants enjoying the sun, along with Mallards, Canada Geese and two Aylesbury Ducks.

Cormorants and gulls
Cormorants


 Must admit its the first time I have seen Aylesbury Ducks that have not been on a farm yard.








                                                                                There was a lone mute cob swan that was defending its territory  with ferocity chasing the
Canada geese away from, what I can only believe its nesting area. I did not see the Pen the whole time I was there. 


I spent about an hour observing two male Great Tits fighting over a Female. The male and female marking are the same, except that the female has a much smaller black breast stripe and the male black has a larger black stripe especially between their legs. This black belly-stripe is an important ‘badge’  It is more appealing to the ladies, since it indicates a good mate and therefore a good parent. So I will be looking at this chap a bit more closely next time. If you look at this picture you can see a much bigger stripe, compared to the female.




As I walked along the lake, I was pleased to see a sign for a Nature Reserve. Now, I was even more pleased to note that it was a reserve that is managed by the Wildlife Trust, who I am now doing voluntary work for. It is called Clowes Wood and on further investigation I discovered it is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI). This could be due to the fact it is an ancient woodland, so I will make sure that I explore this place more.
On walking there was the distinct noise of a woodpecker hammering away. After another hour it was spotted, secretly I was hoping it would be a Lessor Spotted Woodpecker, but alas not to be. It was though the Great Spotted Woodpecker, I was not disappointed. Sadly  I could not get a picture, I was enjoying watching him to much. However, I did take these shots.


Cheeky Blue Tit
Treecreeper

Nuthatch

It was a truly lovely afternoon and it really does not get better then this.

                                      

       “I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it.”  
                                                                                                                              William Shakespeare

References

BTO (2012) Garden Favourite Great Tit  Spring Bird Table [accessed 11.3.14] http://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/shared_documents/gbw/associated_files/bird-table-69-great-tit-article.pdf
 

Natural England (ND)  Clowes Wood & New Fallings Coppice[accessed 11.3.14] http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/Special/sssi/sssi_details.cfm?sssi_id=1001494




No comments:

Post a Comment